Thanks to the Microtia community, their friends and families generosity and several other organizations, Microtia UK is able to fund projects which will benefit those with Microtia.
In February 2019, we accepted the following projects (subject to provision of the relevant paperwork being signed):
1) Many thanks to the VTCT Foundation who awarded funding for research in conjunction with the Centre of Appearance Research. This research will look at exploring parents’ experiences of having a child with Microtia, including the support needs of both parents and young people, the availability and experiences of support, and decision making about surgery. The research results will be made available and shared on our website and with medical professionals.
2) University College London, Patrizia Ferretti & Neil Bulstrode for research into ear reconstruction using cartilage bioengineered from autologous cells.
3) Evelina London to create an audio-visual resource for young people who have microtia and atresia.
4) Swansea University, Thomas Jovic to support ongoing research efforts in cartilage tissue engineering for ear reconstruction.
5) Colin Link for Stage 1 – supporting the creation of initial samples of silicone implants and travel. Stage 2 – TBC.
In January 2018 we funded the following projects:
1) Aston University, Dr Amanda Hall for further research into Single Sided Deafness – click here to participate
2) Centre for Appearance Research, University of England, Bristol for further research of psychological impact of Microtia – click here to read the summary report
3) Great Ormond Street Hospital for cell Incubator to try to improve ear and facial reconstruction method for the future.
4) Scottish National Ear Reconstruction Services & the University of Edinburgh for Scaffold identification for ear reconstruction.
All results to be shared with the Microtia community and medical professionals linked to Microtia.
Microtia UK would like to thank all those who donated or sponsored the charity in 2018.
With special thanks to:
- AGILIS Mobile
- Artemis Charitable Foundation
- Aspect Capital
- Bo’ness Belles
- Boxmoor Social Club
- Ladies Group
- New Pasture Lane School
- RSM Partners LTD.
- Service Desk Institute
- Thomson Reuters
- VTCT Foundation